The range of waxing differs depending on the type of surfboard.
Even if you buy a surfboard
and go to the sea as it is, you will think of surfing.
You can’t enjoy it. By applying wax, a so-called anti-slip, to the surfboard
It improves grip and enables stable riding. I may apply wax to the back of the board.
When surfing, apply it to the front side of the board to prevent your body and feet from slipping.
Since the grip power changes depending on how you apply the wax
Type of wax
“Basecoat”, which is the base for surfing wax.
It will have five different “topcoats” in each season.
- BASECOAT: Used as an undercoat
- TROPICAL: Midsummer when the water temperature is the hottest
- WARM: Early summer when the water temperature is relatively warm
- COOL: Spring or autumn when the water temperature is relatively low
- COLD: Winter when the water temperature is the lowest
- SUPER TACK: Midwinter
Several types are depending on the water temperature.
Topcoats vary depending on the season.
If you do not match the water temperature at the point, you go to, and it will function as a non-slip
It can not fully exert. First of all, there are two main types of wax.
Wax with a high grip that touches your feet directly; apply every time before entering the sea. The basic rule is to use a base coat to the board and then apply a topcoat that matches the water temperature.
Topcoats vary depending on the wax brand, but there are roughly four types of the lineup.
Base wax that is applied directly to the board used only when applied for the first time.
“Harder” than the Topcoat so that it will not run off even if the water temperature changes
- Coldwater temperature 14 ° C or more minor (midwinter)
- Cool water temperature 12 ~ 20 ℃ (autumn / winter)
- Warm water temperature 17-25 ° C (spring/summer)
- Tropical water temperature 25 ° C or higher (midsummer)
Make sure to use the Topcoat properly.
The base coat remains the same.
- The applicable water temperature is that of “Sticky bumps” in the image. Please note that it varies slightly depending on the brand.
- Cold is soft enough to grip in cold water, while tropical is hard enough to give an ideal grip in warm water. (The base coat is even harder)
- When applying wax, prepare two coats, a base coat and a top coat that matches the water temperature.
- At the turn of the season, if you are uncertain about the type of Topcoat, choose the warmer wax!
- Hard wax works to some extent in cold water temperatures, but the wax quickly falls off and loses grip in the opposite case.
How to wax Base coat?
- First of all, if the surfboard is dirty, wipe it clean.
- Waxing area
- The area to be waxed should be the area where the body touches.
- It’s to prevent the feet from slipping when riding.
- After considering the stomach when paddling and the place to sit when waiting for the waves
- It recommends applying it to all the parts that come into contact.
- If you have a longboard and you want to walk on the board
- It will apply to almost the entire surface of the surfboard.
Apply base coat:
- Take out the base coat and use the corners
- Draw a line diagonally in a grid pattern.
- After drawing the grid-like lines, paint on the lines in a circular motion.
- At this time, if you apply too much force, it Will Crush the Gain, so spread it with moderate pressure.
- The base coat is complete when solid grains.
- It’s a surprisingly tricky and persevering task,
- The grip will change depending on how you apply the base coat, so use it carefully.
The base coat has two purposes.
- A base that makes it difficult for the Topcoat to come off the board
Grip up by making uneven shape on the board
2.Some people think that the Topcoat creates irregularities, but the coat gradually peels off during surfing, and because it is soft, it collapses under its weight.
Therefore, it is essential to make the unevenness firmly with the base coat.
- Apply the base coat firmly until the uneven shape form.
- Just put the Topcoat on it.
How to wax Topcoat?
- Please choose the Topcoat according to the time.
- Gently apply over the base coat you used earlier.
- The Topcoat is softer than the base coat,
- You don’t have to put in as much effort as when you drew the grid lines on the base coat.
- Grip power will drop, so gently stroke it.
- You only need to apply the base coat once.
- It is common to apply a top coat every time you enter the sea.
- As I apply it many times, I can understand the range I am using.
- You will be able to apply it smoothly.
A.Draw lines in a grid pattern on the base coat
B.Paint while rotating on the grid line in a circular motion.
C.Gently stroke the Topcoat so as not to crush the grains.
Precautions when applying wax
When applying wax, try to do it in a room that not expose to the sun.
Wax is sensitive to heat and will melt when exposed to the sun.
It’s fine in winter, but in summer, it’s indoors or in a shaded place.
- Please note that not only the wax but also the deck pad will come off quickly.
How to remove the wax
When the season’s change or the grains (lumps) crush
You need to remove the wax and repaint it.
The primary guideline for changing wax is
- Grains have crush
- Dirt is noticeable on the wax
- Change the top coat at the turn of the season
Please think that it is time to change the wax when such a situation occurs.
What you use to remove the wax
- “Scraper” and “remover liquid”.
Both are dedicated, so if you don’t have one, buy one and prepare.
Use a scraper to remove the wax.
- First of all, use a scraper (like a spatula) to remove the wax that is currently attached.
- I will scrape it off.
- At this time, intentionally hit the surfboard in the sun, or use a hairdryer in winter.
- By using it, the wax melts and becomes soft, so it is easy to remove.
At this time, is the surfboard scratched, and the bottom side (backside) is also clean?
Let’s check it.
- Clean with remover liquid
- The remover liquid is a spray type such as Febreze
- There is something like a bottle type, but at first, we recommend the spray type.
- If you can scrape off the wax with a scraper
- Spray the remover liquid on the surfboard and leave it for a while.
- After a few minutes, wipe it off with a towel or cloth.
- If the remover liquid remains on the surfboard
- Next, when applying the base coat, it becomes difficult for the wax to adhere.
- Let’s wipe it off firmly.
- Wax is essential for surfing stability.
- In this article, I introduced the general method of waxing.
- There is no fixed way to apply it.
- It’s just a way to maximize the power of wax.
- How to apply the original wax while surfing by yourself
- I think it’s good to see it.
- But first of all, with the correct basic knowledge
- Try it with the accurate waxing method.