Today, more people like yourself turn to electric scooters as a quick and easy means of transportation. Nothing is more important than your safety, and a helmet is an essential part of it. You cannot just go and get some helmets. You should buy one that meets the safety criteria. Not sure which helmet best fits you? Don’t worry! I will take you through everything you need to know about electric scooter
Why do you need to wear a helmet while riding an electric scooter?
“Electric scooter injuries are on the rise, and one-third of them involve the head,” finds a new study by Reuter Heath. Yes, falling from electric scooters can cause severe head injuries that can result in big traumas. Usually, people ignore the importance of helmets, assuming that they can avoid accidents. But a single fall would be enough to hospitalize you. So, you can not take a chance. Initially, you may feel uncomfortable with helmets. However, choosing a perfect one solves this issue.
Is it illegal to ride an electric scooter without a helmet?
In some states (or countries), it is illegal to ride electric scooters without helmets, whereas some don’t require the rider to wear a helmet. Also, some places have specific requirements such as age. So, it depends on the region’s local laws where you are riding whether riding electric scooters is illegal. I suggest you check your local regulations. That said, wearing a helmet is highly recommended, even if it is not mandatory by law.
What helmet is suitable for riding an electric skateboard?
A variety of electric skateboard helmets are available in the market to choose from. Remember, safety is more important than looking stylish. So, keep the following points in mind while purchasing one.
- Of course, one of the most important things is certification. The helmets that meet CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) standards and ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) are ideal for your use.
- Make sure your electric skateboard helmet fits you well. Measure your head if you are not sure which size best suits you.
- Besides the standard helmets for skateboards, you can choose from other types of helmets available in the market. But ideally, you should go with a skateboard helmet as it has more impact resistance.
- Ventilation is another factor you should look for when buying a helmet. An open-face helmet provides enough ventilation.
How to choose a helmet that suits you?
There are no universal standards for electric scooter helmets. That said, some entities have come up with helpful guidelines. The safety standards, size, and type of helmet are some key factors you must look for in your helmet.
Safety is the paramount factor. So, you must invest in the safest helmet. The protection level of different types of helmets is different. It can be indicated by some certified standards that show the impact ratings of the helmets. The certification standards vary across regions. However, some certifications are acceptable in multiple areas. Following are well-known certifying bodies:
- American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM)
- US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- Snell Memorial Foundation (Snell)
- European Standard from the European Committee for Standardization or Euro-Norm (EN)
And some of the World known certifications are:
- ASTM F1952 (safety standards for downhill bicycle helmets)
- CPSC Standards (US safety standards for bicycle helmets)
- ASTM F1492 ( standard certification for skateboarding and bicycling helmets)
There are other certifications too. Make sure that your helmet has the required certifications. The minimum certification you can go with for electric scooters is ATSM 1492.
There are several types of helmets that have varying impact ratings. Among them, the motorcycle helmets render maximum protection. And the bicycle helmets offer the minimum level of protection. Probably, you don’t need a bicycle helmet as electric scooters have much a lower speed than motorcycles. The following are the types of helmets that do work for you.
- A longboard helmet
- A skateboard helmet
- A bicycle helmet
- Size and Fitting
The size of the helmets is one of the key things you must check when buying a helmet. If the fitting is accurate, it ensures more protection. So, buy a helmet that perfectly fits your skull. You need to measure your head to know the exact size. Don’t you know how to do that? Okay, take the following steps:
- Measure your head circumference using a measuring tape.
- Do it by placing the tape almost one inch above the eyebrows
- Don’t rely on a single measurement. Do it a few times to get the accurate size.
- Convert inches into centimeters if the size of the helmet is in centimeters.
- You can take someone’s help to measure your head
Top 3 Electric Scooter Helmets
There are many electric scooter helmets you can choose from. The following are the top 3 helmets that I chose for you. With time, I will reveal more such helmets.
- Thousand Helmets
This particular helmet is considerably light in weight. The small size weighs 410g, medium 450, and large 490. These helmets meet the safety standards of CPSC and ASTM F1492. Its default package comes with two sets of padding that help custom fit the helmet. Also, it has a pop-lock that you can use to lock your helmet with the scooter. Besides, it is very stylish and very comfortable to use that too without compromising the quality. And it ensures ample protection. Pros
- Lighter weight
- Triple Certified
- Locking hole
- Little expensive
- Low ventilation
- Triple Eight Dual Certified Helmets
As the name suggests, they are twice certified. The Triple 8 Dual Certified helmets are compliant with both the safety standards of ASTM F-1492 and the US CPSC. It comes with a classic shape and is very durable with a high level of protection. Pros
- They come in different colors
- Guarantee maximum protection
- Four certifications
- Fitting issues, sometimes
- Retropect Dakota Bicycle/ Skateboard Helmets
Retrospec Dakota helmets keep you safe. The skate design ensures the ultimate protection of your head. And these helmets are high impact resistant as they have top-quality EPS foam that absorbs shocks. Pros
- Premium protection
- Adjustable fit
- Bright colors
- Sometimes, fitting issues with the large sizes.
I have already mentioned that electric scooter injuries are more common these days. Most head injuries lead to serious consequences. Thus, you must take all the steps to protect your skull before it is too late. In this guide, I have revealed almost everything you need to know before buying a helmet that best suits you.