The best riders are the ones with the best horse reins. A riding rein is an essential part of communicating with your horse. The primary purpose of using a rein is to better steer your horse. But they can be a means of talking to your horse as well.
Finding the perfect rein for your riding style and hand size may require a little experimentation. Riding reins must be safe and functional and help your horse understand even the slightest cue quickly and easily.
You need comfortable horse reigns as well. You will tend to shorten your trails if your reins are too long, too heavy, or uncomfortable to hold. An essential preparation for taking long rides is to set your rein as you feel the most relaxed. Thus, it is essential to pick the best rein for your horse!
Our Picks for the Best Horse Reins
Reins are formed by connecting each side of the horse reigns to the bit and connecting them near the horse’s withers. In your early days of riding, the saddle, stirrups, and horse’s bit probably seemed like the essential elements to keep you on the horse. However, the reins are just as crucial for safety and riding prowess. Choosing the right riding reins can make a great ride into a terrible one.
These are our choices of the 7 best horse reins available in the market.
1. Best Overall: Weaver Leather Cowboy Split Case
2. Best For Comfort: Weaver Leather Golden Chestnut Split Rein
3. Best Value: Weaver Leather Brown/Tan Braided Nylon Split Reins
4. Most Popular: CHALLENGER Braided Leather Western Horse Reins
5. Best for barrel racing: CHALLENGER English Black Training Horse Reins
6. Best For Everyday Riding: CHALLENGER Horse Rope Western Barrel Horse Reins
7. Best For Feeling Great In Hand: CHALLENGER Poly-Nylon Braided Horse Reins
Cashel Company Adjustable Horse Reins Rawhide Trim Closed Reins
- Customer reviews: 4.5 out of 5
- It is chocolate brown in color
- This product measures 244 cm in length
- The height is 1 inch.
- The length is 12 inches
- The width is 2.5 inches
- The model number is SG_B00JHPQ6VG_US
- Its dimensions are 12.7 x 12.7 x 2.54 cm and its weight is 272.16 grams.
Featuring leather and suede trim, this model has an adjustable foot, and it’s rated SA-RA8. The rope reins can be adjusted from both sides, so they are super convenient. There is no need to adjust or have a longer tail on one side, which eliminates the weight of your horse reigns.
- Have a nice soft and slightly elastic touch
- Extremely comfortable
- Super handy
- There is not enough additional leather to extend it beyond 8’.
Weaver Leather Golden Chestnut Split Rein Horse Riding Reins
- Customer Reviews: 4.6 out of 5
- Feels great because it is hand rubbed
- Designed with weighted ends to feel like a working tack
- Harness leather made of extra heavy leather
- For the ultimate performance, drizzled with butter
- 26 x 6 x 0.6 inches are the dimensions of the package for this item
- The package weighs 0.41 kilograms
- This item has dimensions of 0.75 x 5.5 x 58.5 inches
- its color is golden chestnut
- The part number is 50-1412
- The size is 1/2″ x 8′
Rich golden chestnut color is achieved by hand rubbing extra heavy harness leather in oil, and butter, and dressing it with butter. Featuring weighted ends and water tie ends for a substantial feel, these split reins are sure to please.
Horse reigns of this type Have been dipped in oil and Extensively hand-rubbed. Designed with premium thickness and balanced feel to withstand demanding riding conditions. You’ll feel as if you’re receiving an old friend when you receive these hand-buttered reins.
When riding your horse, these horse reigns will quickly become a must-have due to their incredible balance, flexibility, and durability.
- Perfect for everyday use
- Ideal for trail
- Well-made and well-oiled
- Color accurate
- Disturbingly thick leather
Weaver Leather Brown/Tan Braided Nylon Split Reins Leather Roping Reins Trail Reins
- Customer Reviews: 4.2 out of 5
- The package measures 10 x 5 x 1.81 inches in length, width, and height.
- It weighs 0.48 kilograms
- It weighs 0.01 ounces
- Weaver Leather is the brand name
- The model’s name is 35-2044-BK
- The color is brown and tan
- User suggestions: Adults, both sexes
- It measures 3/8″ x 8′
Weaver Leather horse reigns are beautiful, showy, and look good on a horse, but they are so long that they impede movement. These are useful for lunging horses. These reins are of good quality and look great with a vintage classic style.
- Pretty, showy, looks good on a horse
- Feel good in your hand
- Very comfortable and easy to hold
- Too long that they get in the way
- Not enough weight to feel good contact
CHALLENGER Braided Leather Western Horse Reins Leather Split Reins with Clips Closed Reins
- Customer Reviews: 4.5 out of 5
- 8′ L x 3/4″ W
- Due to their production process and nature, high-quality harness leather is great for horse reigns and adds a soft, comforting touch.
- The item package measures 10.31 x 6.57 x 1.38 inches.
- The packaged weight is 0.41 kilograms
- The item weighs 0.9 pounds
- The part number is 66RT10PB
A Challenger harness leather rein feels excellent in your hands because it’s soft, supple, and well-crafted. This product is highly durable and will last for years. Featuring brass adjustable Conway buckles and trigger snaps at both ends for durability. The grip is braided latigo laced by hand. Using harness leather reins will make your horse feel safe and secure.
- Well-made – supple and adjustable
- Perfect for mounted shooting reins
- Great quality for the money
- The leather rubs off within a few uses
- Too short
CHALLENGER English Black Training Horse Reins
Leather horse reigns manufactured by Challenger English in multicolored rubber grip. Rubber grips prevent slippage, making your hands feel more secure. Hardware is made of stainless steel and is rust-free. It measures 54″ (Full) long x 5/8″ wide.
- Customer Reviews: 4.5 out of 5
- Product Dimensions 8 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches (L x W x H)
- The weight of the package is 0.38 kilograms
- The color is black/multicolor
- The part number is 805LR07
- The size is 54″ long x 5/8″ wide
Reins with a rubber grip, you will feel more secure in your hands, which prevents slippage. The hardware is stainless steel and rust-free.
- Works well for beginners
- Perfect for teaching kids and adults both how to handle the reins
- Too stiff
CHALLENGER Horse Rope Western Barrel Horse Reins Closed Reins
- Customer Reviews: 4.4 out of 5
- The height is approximately 7-8 feet
- The color is Emerald Green and Black
- With Conway buckles, these horse reigns are easy to attach to the bit. These are top-quality competition reins.
- You can use it for barrel racing, reining, trail riding, or daily riding and having fun riding!
- Dimensions of the item package 10.79 x 4.37 x 2.09 inches
- The weight of the box is 0.33 kilograms
- This item measures 4 x 1 x 8 inches in length, width, and height
- The thing weighs 0.6 pounds
- 60701 is the part number
This nylon braided rein is an excellent alternative to leather reins. You can choose from many colors, and it comes with stainless steel trigger snaps and adjustable Conway buckles. It is approximately 7-8 feet long.
- Matches pretty well, and it is well made
- Has a beautiful bright color
- Comfortable to ride with and looks great
- Is a bit too stretchy
CHALLENGER Poly-Nylon Horse Riding Reins Braided Horse Reins
- Customer Reviews: 4.4 out of 5
- It is 7 feet high
- It has a turquoise color
- Using Conway buckles, this rein is attachable to the bit in a nice way.
- These reins are of the highest quality.
- The perfect choice for barrel racing, reining, trail riding, or just taking the horse out for a ride.
- This product measures 4 x 1 x 8 inches and weighs 9.6 ounces.
The quality of these horse reigns is guaranteed and claimed to be competitive by the manufacturer. In addition to everyday use, these reins are perfect for racing and trail riding. It is easy to attach to the bit with a Conway buckle. It’s riding time!
- Nice and easy to put on/off
- Great length and heavy-duty snaps
- Not truly turquoise
What are the Types Of Horse Reins?
There are several types of reins, including:
- Plain rein
These reins are made of leather and are smooth without styling or features such as hand stops. Reins are generally thin and flexible and present a clean look while offering an excellent connection to the horse’s mouth. It is common for riders to use plain reins as curb reins with Weymouth’s or as leading reins in dressage.
- Full rubber-grip rein
They provide a soft grip without sacrificing durability, making them ideal for show jumping. Because the rubber does not absorb any water, the reins are ideal for all weather conditions. Reins can be dyed any color because of the rubber covering.
- Continental rein
With Continental reins, riders can easily hold them or keep their hands even since they have leather markers spaced out on the reins. For flatwork and schooling, web reins are ideal because they are light, soft, and flexible.
- Laced Reins
Hunter bridles often feature laced-patterned reins due to the design sewn into them. The overlaid laced leather gives beautiful traditional styling.
- Plaited reins
Plaited leather strips provide a natural gripping surface and look smart.
- Half Rubber rein
Dressage riders prefer thin rubber reins since they provide more grip than full rubber reins. Furthermore, they are more delicate, eliminating bulk so they can be connected closely to the horse’s mouth.
There are many types of reins, which are an essential part of the riding kit. Seeing a few products before you can be helpful when searching for the best horse reins. Check out the list above; I can guarantee you’ll find the perfect reins!