Vacuuming is your best bet if you want to get your vinyl floors sparkling clean. However, not just any vacuum cleaner will do. You need a vacuum for vinyl floors.
The best vacuum cleaner for luxury vinyl floors has soft bristles, rubber wheels, and gentle yet effective suction. This kind of vacuum will clean your vinyl flooring without leaving scratches, dents, or marks.
Below, we’ve reviewed the 10 best vacuums for vinyl floors. You’ll also learn everything you need to know about vinyl flooring vacuums, including how they work, and get answers to the questions you might have about vacuuming vinyl floors.
In this article,
- What is Vinyl Flooring
- Reviews of the 10 Best Vacuums for Vinyl (Plank) Floors
- How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Vinyl Floors
- How Does a Vacuum for Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors Work
- Vinyl Floor Vacuum vs. Other Vacuum Cleaners
- How to Maintain Your Vacuum Cleaner for Vinyl Floors
- Vacuum Cleaner Troubleshooting
- FAQs About Vacuums for Vinyl Floors
Our Picks for the Best Vacuum for Vinyl Floors
- Best Overall: Bissell Crosswave Pet Pro All-in-One Wet Dry Vacuum Mop and Cleaner for Vinyl and Hard Floors
- Best for Maneuverability: Dyson V11 Torque Drive Cordless Stick Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors
- Best with Wide Upholstery and Crevice Tools: Shark NV352 Navigator Lift-Away Upright Vacuum for Vinyl Floors
- Best for Hair Cleaning: Whall 25kPa Suction 4-in-1 Foldable Cordless Stick Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors and Pet Hair
- Best Portable and Compact: Miele Classic C1 Pure Suction Bagged Canister Vacuum for Vinyl Floors
- Best Robot Design: iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO (3550) Self-Emptying Robot Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors
- Best for Smart Suction and Cleaning: Tineco Floor ONE S3 Cordless Wet Dry Vacuum Mop Combo for Vinyl Floors and Hardwood Floors
- Best Value: Shark SV1106 Navigator Freestyle Upright Bagless Cordless Stick Vacuum for Vinyl Floors and Carpet
- Best for Long Runtime: Shark IZ682H Vertex Pro Cordless Stick Vacuum with IQ Display for Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors
- Best Corded Option: Dyson Ball Origin High-Performance HEPA Filter Upright Vacuum for Vinyl Floors and Carpet
What is Vinyl Flooring?
Vinyl flooring is a type of synthetic floor material used as an alternative to hardwood, natural stone, and tile flooring. It’s made of several layers of artificial materials sandwiched together.
Vinyl flooring is attractive, affordable, highly practical, and durable. This has made it a popular flooring material, especially for high-traffic and moisture-prone areas such as bathrooms.
Traditional Vinyl Floors vs. Luxury Vinyl Floors
There are two different types of vinyl flooring: traditional vinyl and luxury vinyl floors.
Traditional vinyl or sheet vinyl is the more affordable type of vinyl flooring. It’s 2 mm thick and available in 6′, 12′, or 13’6″ widths.
Luxury vinyl floors include luxury vinyl tile (LVT) and luxury vinyl plank (LVP) flooring. Vinyl planks come in 4″ x 48″ to 9″ x 72″ sizes, while vinyl tiles are available in 16″ x 16″ to 18″ x 36″ sizes.
Luxury vinyl floors boast incredibly realistic hardwood, tile, or natural stone looks. Compared to sheet vinyl, vinyl planks and tiles are also thicker (5mm-12mm) and have a rigid core. Because of this, luxury vinyl plank and tile floors are more durable than vinyl sheet flooring.
Even though all types of vinyl floors are incredibly hard and scratch-resistant, sharp objects and tiny particles can still damage them. For example, vacuums with hard brush rolls and beaters can scratch vinyl flooring.
The best vacuum for vinyl floors is equipped with soft bristles and just the right suction power to deliver a thorough vacuum without ruining the sensitive flooring.
Reviews of the 10 Best Vacuums for Vinyl (Plank) Floors
1. Best Overall: Bissell Crosswave Pet Pro All-in-One Wet Dry Vacuum Mop and Cleaner for Vinyl Floors
Item Weight: 11 Pounds
Capacity: 1 Liter
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Tile, Sealed Wood Floors, Laminate, Linoleum, Rubber Floor Mats,
Pressed Wood Floors, Area Rugs, etc.
Warranty: 3 Years
Rating: 4.4 out of 5.0
Our top pick for the best overall vacuum for vinyl flooring is the Bissell Crosswave Pet Pro Wet Dry Vacuum Mop Combo. It has just the right suction strength to pick up all sorts of dirt and pet hair without damaging vinyl flooring. Pet owners love that the brush roller can resist hair tangling.
Besides vacuuming vinyl floors, you can use the Crosswave on other hard floors, carpets, and rugs. Simply press a button to switch from the gentle setting for vinyl plank floors to the more aggressive carpet mode.
What’s more? This vacuum handles both dry vacuuming and wet mopping. A two-tank system makes wet mopping efficient. One tank dispenses fresh cleaning solution while the other holds the dirty water with debris.
The Crosswave is fairly lightweight and easy to move around. Thanks to the swivel head and extra long cord, it can access tight spaces easily. After vacuuming, cleaning and maintaining the vacuum cleaner itself is very simple.
Overall, the Bissell Crosswave is one of the best mop vacuums for luxury vinyl plank floors. That it’s a top-rated vacuum cleaner with more than 20k user ratings attests to its performance and reliability.
- Top-rated vacuum for vinyl flooring
- Safe to use on a variety of floor types
- Handles both vacuuming and wet mopping
- Separate tanks for the dirty and clean water
- Brush roll doesn’t get caught up in pet hair
- Comes with a pet hair and debris strainer
- Easy to assemble and use
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Your purchase helps save homeless pets
- Does not have HEPA filtration
Related: Best Electric Mops
2. Best for Maneuverability: Dyson V11 Torque Drive Cordless Stick Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors
Item Weight: 6.68 Pounds
Volume: 3.15 Fluid Ounces
Runtime: 60 Minutes
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl Floors, Hard Floors, Carpet, etc.
Warranty: 2 Years
Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
Lightweight, slim, and cordless, the Dyson V11 Torque Drive is incredibly easy to use. It features low-profile cleaner heads that can access low and tight spaces. The stick vacuum also converts into a handheld unit for cleaning stairs, tricky areas, and spot cleaning.
Suction is so amazing that picking up dust, dirt, and debris is a breeze. Soft carbon fiber filaments capture dust from vinyl flooring and crevices. On top of this, an advanced filtration system captures 99.97% of particles, including microscopic bacteria and allergens.
Designed for both hard floors and carpets, the Dyson V11 vacuum for vinyl flooring comes with a soft dusting brush, torque drive head, stubborn dirt brush, mini-motorized tool, crevice tool, and combination tool.
Simply attach the right cleaner head for the current floor type. In addition, the vacuum automatically switches the motor speed between carpets and hard floors.
Powered by a powerful battery that gives you up to 60 minutes of cleaning time, the Dyson V11 is one of the best cordless vacuums for vinyl plank floors. You can clean the entire house without running out of juice.
Maintenance is a breeze, too. The machine reminds you to clean filters and alerts you to any clogs. It has a docking station that stores and charges the vacuum and holds the attachment heads.
The efficiency, ease of use, and variety of tools make this Dyson stick vacuum worth the money. It will make vacuuming so much easier and quicker. Another advantage is how quiet it is, thanks to acoustic baffles built into the motor.
- Cleans both hard floors and carpets
- A variety of cleaning tools included
- Lightweight and easy to hold
- Very easy to maneuver
- Transforms into a handheld vacuum
- Optimizes suction power based on floor type
- Removes bacteria and allergen
- Reminds you to perform maintenance tasks
- Excellent battery life
- Doesn’t emit a lot of noise
- The small debris container fills up fast
3. Best with Wide Upholstery and Crevice Tools: Shark NV352 Navigator Lift-Away Upright Vacuum for Vinyl Floors
Item Weight: 12.5 Pounds
Capacity: 1.1 Quarts
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Hard Floors, Carpet, and Upholstery
Warranty: 5 Years
Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
The Shark NV352 Navigator is a highly-rated vacuum cleaner for hard floors and carpets. It allows you to switch off the motorized brush roll for gentle vacuuming, making it the best vacuum for luxury vinyl plank floors.
The suction is great for picking up pet hair and fine dirt, and you can also adjust the motor power on sensitive flooring. A HEPA filter traps dust, pet hair, and allergens, so only clean air comes out of the vacuum.
Thanks to swivel steering, you won’t have a problem maneuvering the cleaner head around furniture. As for cleaning hard-to-reach areas such as stairs, you can lift it up and carry the pod.
Emptying and cleaning the canister is easy. Simply unlatch the clips, open the canister, dump out its contents, and clean the canister.
All in all, the Shark NV352 is a very user-friendly vinyl floor vacuum cleaner without sacrificing cleaning performance. It’s also robust and sure to last many years with proper care.
- Easy to shut off motorized brush roll
- You can adjust the suction power
- The swivel head is easy to maneuver
- Uses HEPA filters to filter hair and allergens
- You can detach the pod and carry it over the stairs
- Easy to assemble, empty, and clean
- Comes with a crevice and upholstery tool
- The vacuum cleaner is on the heavy side
4. Best for Hair Cleaning: Whall 25kPa Suction 4-in-1 Foldable Cordless Stick Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors and Pet Hair
Item Weight: 8.47 Pounds
Capacity: 0.5 Liters
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Hard Floors, Carpet, and Pet Hair
Rating: 4.3 out of 5.0
This is an affordable vacuum cleaner for vinyl floors. However, its cleaning performance is impressive. In fact, it fits the bill as the best vacuum for vinyl plank floors and pet hair.
The suction is strong enough to lift fine dirt, pet hair, and debris. You can select from three motor power levels depending on what type of floor you’re tackling.
The vacuum uses a multi-layer filtration system and HEPA filter to capture dust and allergens. The filtration efficiency is top-notch. The V-shaped roller brush has both hard and soft bristles to clean hard floors, carpets, and wooden floors well.
The stick vacuum is lightweight and fantastic for small spaces. The flexible cleaner head reaches corners, and the foldable tube easily goes under beds, tables, and sofas.
Additionally, the vacuum comes with a brush tool you can attach to the handheld component and use in small spaces. A fully charged battery powers the vacuum for 15 to 50 minutes, depending on the selected power mode.
To conclude, this is a great cordless vacuum cleaner for vinyl plank flooring on a tight budget. It’s also one of the top options to consider if you’re a pet owner.
- Affordable vinyl floor vacuum and great value
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver around
- Flexible design reaches tight and low spaces
- Brushless motor emits little noise
- Good battery life and chargeable on a wall mount
- Convertible into a handheld vacuum
- Multi-layer filtration system with HEPA filter
- LED lights illuminate hidden dirt
- Comes with an extra HEPA filter
- Easy to use and clean as well
- The small dustbin fills up quickly, and you need to empty it frequently
5. Best Portable and Compact: Miele Classic C1 Pure Suction Bagged Canister Vacuum for Vinyl Floors
Item Weight: 1 Pound
Capacity: 4.76 Quarts
Noise Level: 5 dB
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Hard Floors, Carpet, etc.
Warranty: 7 Years (motor&casing); 1 Year (Parts&Labor)
Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
This bagged canister vacuum cleaner for vinyl floors offers several advantages. First, the vacuum is lightweight and easy to move from room to room. The swivel head gets into corners and over stairs, while the telescoping wand allows you to clean high and low spots.
Coming from Miele, the vacuum has excellent suction. It’s super powerful, can be dialed down, and does a great job of picking both small and large particles and hair, making sweeping pet hair a breeze.
This is a corded vacuum cleaner equipped with a long power cord. The dust bags take a long time to fill up, so frequent replacement is not required. As for the clip-on attachments, it comes with a combination floorhead, a dusting brush, a crevice tool, and an upholstery tool.
Although the Miele canister vacuum doesn’t come cheap, it’s well worth the money and a great investment. It makes vacuuming vinyl plank flooring easier and is engineered to last a long time.
- Excellent suction power – strong and adjustable
- Easily accesses hard-to-reach areas
- Powerful yet quiet in operation
- Odor-resistant HEPA filtration
- High-capacity dust bag lasts a long time
- Simple setup with clear instructions provided
- Non-marking rubber wheels
- Long power cord offers great reach
- Comes with great attachment heads
- Portable and compact design
- Has a premium price tag
6. Best Robot Design: iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO (3550) Self-Emptying Robot Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors
Item Weight: 6.8 KG
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Hard floors, and Carpet
Warranty: 1 Year
Rating: 4.3 out of 5.0
The iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO is the best robot vacuum for luxury vinyl plank floors. It learns how your home is laid out and cleans in straight-line patterns while navigating around furniture. It even self-empties into an enclosed dust bag.
All you have to do is set a cleaning schedule and let the vacuum do its thing. The battery lasts up to 75 minutes. Once running out of power, the i3+ EVO goes to the charging station and resumes cleaning once fully charged.
As for cleaning performance, the strong suction and multi-surface brushes do a great job of picking up dirt and hair. The filters trap 99% of fine particles to release clean air.
As far as robotic vacuums go, the iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO has great technology and does an amazing vacuuming job on vinyl floors.
- Vacuums hands-free and unattended
- Simple to set up and use
- Suitable for different floor types
- Brush resists pet hair tangling
- Compatible with Vera, Google Home, and Alexa
- Excellent battery life of 1 hr and 15 minutes
- Provides excellent value for money
- Garbage bag takes 60 days to fill up
- Has difficulty accessing hard-to-reach spaces
7. Best for Smart Suction and Cleaning: Tineco Floor ONE S3 Cordless Wet Dry Vacuum Mop Combo for Vinyl Floors and Hardwood Floors
Item Weight: 9.9 Pounds
Capacity: 0.6 Liters (Clean Water Tank)
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Sealed Hard Floors, etc.
Warranty: 2 Years
Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
The Tineco FLOOR ONE S3 is the best wet dry vacuum for vinyl floors regarding smart sensor technology. It does a spectacular job of vacuuming and mopping vinyl sheets, planks, or tiles.
With smart sensors, the vacuum cleaner detects messes and adjusts the suction power and water flow accordingly. It then sucks up the dirt and dirty water to leave your hardwood floors clean and dry.
A two-tank system keeps the fresh cleaning solution separate from the dirty water and debris. This way, the vacuum leaves your vinyl flooring streak free.
Cleanup of the vacuum is a breeze. A self-cleaning cycle cleans the brush roller. All you have to clean manually is the dirty water container and filter. Best of all, the vacuum tells you when to empty the dirty water, refill the clean water, and initiate the self-cleaning cycle.
The lightweight and cordless design is quiet and maneuvers very well. And the battery provides up to 35 minutes of cleanup time on a full charge.
If you’re looking for the best mop vacuum for vinyl floors, you can’t go wrong with the Tineco Floor ONE S3. It mops vinyl plank flooring and then vacuums up the water and captured debris to leave your floors clean, dry, and streak-free.
- Vinyl floor mop and a vacuum in one
- Lightweight and cordless convenience
- Cleaning solution and dirty water don’t mix
- Water dries quickly without streaks
- Easy to assemble, use, and take apart to clean
- Roller brush is self-cleaning
- Give voice status reports and reminders
- Comes with two roller brushes and HEPA filters
- Comes with a cleaning solution
- Attractive with a clean and sophisticated design
- Only compatible with the Tineco formula. Other solutions damage the vacuum and void the warranty.
8. Best Value: Shark SV1106 Navigator Freestyle Upright Bagless Cordless Stick Vacuum for Vinyl Floors and Carpet
Item Weight: 7.5 Pounds
Capacity: 0.64 Quarts
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Hard floors, Carpet, etc
Warranty: 1 Year
Rating: 4.3 out of 5.0
Affordable, compact, and lightweight, the Shark SV1106 Navigator is the best vinyl floor vacuum for quick cleanups. It has a roller mode for carpets and a non-roller mode for vinyl flooring.
As a value-for-money vinyl floor vacuum, the cordless cleaner has impressive suction power. It picks up all sorts of dirt and fits the bill as the best vacuum for vinyl plank floors and pet hair.
This Shark stick vacuum cleaner lives up to its name when it comes to navigation. Swivel steering enables it to clean close to walls and around obstacles.
Despite the low price point, the Shark SV1106 Navigator is well-made and strikes the perfect balance between portability, battery life, and suction power.
- Affordable and excellent value for money
- Works on carpets and vinyl flooring
- Convenient for quick cleanups
- Lightweight but powerful
- Easy to navigate to tight spaces
- Effective at vacuuming hair
- Stands on its own
- Dust bin empties easily
- Great battery life
- Does not come with head attachments
9. Best for Long Runtime: Shark IZ682H Vertex Pro Cordless Stick Vacuum with IQ Display for Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors
Item Weight: 8.82 Pounds
Capacity: 1 Quart
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Hard Flooring, Carpet, etc
Warranty: 5 Years
Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
The Shark IZ682H Vertex Pro packs the power and performance of a full-size vacuum in a lightweight stick form factor.
It comes with two batteries to give you up to 2 hours of uninterrupted cleaning time. You can clean the entire house without having to stop to recharge.
The soft roller brush is gentle on vinyl plank or tiles, and you can set the ideal amount of suction power to get the job done. LED lights ensure you don’t miss any dirt or hair.
With HEPA filtration, you can rest assured that the air coming out of the vacuum is free from dust, pet dander, and allergens.
No spot is hard to reach with the Vertex Pro. The small head and folding wand enable it to get under and around furniture. And it converts into a handheld unit for use on stairs.
Cleanup is easy because the brush roller is self-cleaning. The extra-large dust bin takes a while to fill up and empties at a single touch.
To wrap up, this is simply the best cordless vacuum for vinyl plank floors. It’s easy to maneuver, offers extended runtime, and vacuums effectively. It comes with a crevice tool, a pet multi-tool, and an anti-allergen dusting brush.
- Comes with two batteries for extended runtime
- Has settings for hard floors and carpet
- Converts into a handheld vacuum
- Lightweight and flexible
- Folds up for compact storage
- Accesses hard-to-reach spots
- Comes with plenty of accessories
- Brush roller is self-cleaning
- Uses HEPA filtration
- LED lights illuminate hidden dirt
- Extra large and easy-to-empty dustbin
- A little on the heavy side
- It takes time to get used to the button placement
10. Best Corded Option: Dyson Ball Origin High-Performance HEPA Filter Upright Vacuum for Vinyl Floors and Carpet
Item Weight: 17.37 Pounds
Surface Recommendation: Vinyl, Hard Floors, Carpet, etc
Warranty: 5 Years
Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
If you have both carpet and vinyl flooring, the Dyson Ball Multi Floor Origin is the best vacuum for vinyl plank floors and Carpet. The cleaner head automatically adjusts itself between hard floors and carpets.
The bristles are optimized to clean carpets deeply and leave hard floors spotless and unmarred. HEPA filtration captures even microscopic allergens and releases asthma and allergy-friendly air.
Despite this being a heavy corded Dyson vacuum for vinyl plank floors, it’s still easy to maneuver around, thanks to a 35 feet power cord and ball technology. On top of this, a flexible wand offers reach high up and under furniture.
The dirt canister holds a lot and empties at the push of a button, so you don’t have to get your hands dirty.
In conclusion, the Dyson Ball Multi Floor Origin is a bit pricey but worth it. It’s a sturdy vacuum cleaner that will make vacuuming easy for years to come.
- Has a self-adjusting cleaner head
- Easy to maneuver around
- Easily cleans tight and high spots
- Easy to use and put together
- High-capacity and easy-to-empty canister
- Uses high-quality HEPA filters
- Comes with a combination and stair tool
- Very heavy, which limits maneuverability
How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Vinyl Floors
As you can see, vinyl floor vacuums have different designs and features. It’s essential to make careful considerations to make the right choice for your vacuuming needs. Pay attention to the following factors before you hit the order button.
The most important requirement for vinyl floor vacuums is that they should have gentle bristles that don’t interfere with the vinyl flooring’s luster and shine.
Ordinary vacuum cleaners with rotating brush rolls, stiff bristles, and beater bars can scratch or dent the sensitive flooring material.
If you opt for a multi-surface vacuum cleaner, make sure it allows you to turn off the spinning brush roll and switch the vacuum head when vacuuming vinyl floors.
In addition, these types of vacuums feature non-marking rubber wheels that glide smoothly on vinyl flooring without leaving marks or scratches.
There are different types of vacuums for vinyl floors to choose from. Consider their pros and cons to decide which build type suits your needs best among the following types:
- Upright Vacuums have a standing design that resembles an ordinary vacuum. You tilt them back to move them across the floor. This design boasts a big cleaner head that covers a wide area and a large dustbin, making it the best vinyl vacuum for large spaces.
- Stick Vacuums also stand uprights but have a more compact design that suits small spaces and is easy to maneuver in tight areas.
- Handheld Vacuums are small units designed for spot cleaning. You can get one as a backup unit to your main vacuum.
- Canister Vacuums are also handheld but come with a large dust bin. You can clean for a long time before stopping to empty. What’s more, this design emits minimal noise during operation.
- Robot Vacuums allow you to vacuum hands-free. Simply program the cleaning time, and the vacuum will move and clean on its own. They use sensors to map the room for navigation, and you can control them via a smartphone app.
Corded vs. Cordless Vacuum
Next, decide whether to opt for a corded or cordless vacuum for vinyl flooring. This decision comes down to how your space is laid out.
If your space is large and sparsely furnished with all or most areas easily accessible, a corded vacuum will serve you well. Although you have to plug them into an outlet, corded vacuums have powerful suction so that you can catch most of the dirt in one pass.
If you don’t have plenty of power outlets, go for a model with an extra-long power cord that gives you a wide reach.
The best thing about a cordless unit is the ease of maneuvering it. You can reach hard-to-access spaces and even use it in areas without a power plug.
Just make sure that the vacuum is powered by a high-capacity battery that will let you clean a large area before you have to plug it into recharge.
Powerful But Gentle Suction Power
As with any other vacuum cleaner, the suction power should be strong enough to pick up both fine particles and large debris, including dust mites, crumbs, and pet dander.
However, vacuuming vinyl floors doesn’t demand the most powerful suction. Low to moderate suction works just fine.
Actually, most models allow you to adjust the suction power depending on the surface you’re cleaning. For example, you can increase the suction power when tackling stubborn dirt.
As you move the vacuum cleaner across your vinyl floors, the dirt and debris will collect inside the collection chamber or dust bin. If it fits up quickly, you will have to keep emptying it.
Pay attention to the size of the dustbin. It’s smart to opt for a unit with a high-capacity dustbin if you have a large home. This way, you don’t have to stop frequently to empty the bin. A small dustbin is sufficient for a small apartment.
On top of this, find out the type of dustbin the vacuum cleaner uses. Some models use replaceable bags. With others, you just dump the collected debris into a trash can.
Consider the ease of maneuvering the vacuum cleaner around your space. An upright vacuum is a great option for wide-open spaces. If your house is packed with furniture and has plenty of tight spaces, consider a stick, canister, or handheld vacuum.
Look for rubber wheels that roll smoothly across the vinyl flooring without getting stuck or scuffing the floor. An ergonomic design with a low profile and swivel steering makes it easy to reach tight areas and navigate around obstacles.
Weight and Size
Weight is an important consideration if you have multiple floors with vinyl flooring. In this case, you need a lightweight model you can easily carry up and down stairs.
Where storage space is limited, the best sweeper for vinyl plank flooring is a compact unit that won’t take up too much space during storage.
Build Quality and Durability
A vacuum cleaner is a long-term purchase. You definitely want your unit to serve you for years to come. Look for a robust vacuum constructed with high-quality materials.
Read user reviews to find out how long you can expect the vacuum you’re considering to last. The warranty period can also give you a hint about durability.
Ease of Use and Maintenance
The best vacuum for vinyl floors is, of course, easy to use. First of all, putting the unit together should be straightforward, with clear instructions provided. Easily accessible controls come in handy as you vacuum, while LED headlights help you spot hidden dirt and grime.
After cleaning, you should be able to empty the dustbin by pressing a button. Some robotic models even accomplish this step by themselves.
Finally, find out what tool attachments the vacuum cleaner comes with. A myriad of cleaning accessories is good because they extend the vacuum’s cleaning capabilities.
For example, a crevice tool attached to the best vacuum for vinyl plank floors comes in handy for tackling any dirt stuck to the adhesive strips joining the vinyl planks.
If you’re a pet owner or someone in your house has respiratory issues, look for HEPA filters. These are very effective at trapping dirt and pet hair.
How Does a Vacuum for Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors Work
Vacuums for vinyl plank flooring use the same technology that regular vacuums use.
They are equipped with a motor that generates suction and creates negative pressure, so air and other particles are sucked into the vacuum. The dirt particles and debris are pushed into a dust bag or canister.
As for the air, it passes through a filtration system where minute particles such as dust and pet hair are filtered. The clean air comes out through an exhaust port.
Vinyl Floor Vacuum vs. Other Vacuum Cleaners
Designed for vacuuming sensitive bare flooring, vinyl floor vacuums differ from other vacuum cleaners in that they feature gentle cleaning mechanisms.
Here is an overview of the specific differences between vinyl floor vacuums and traditional vacuums.
|Qualities||Vinyl Floor Vacuum||Other Vacuum Cleaners|
|Cleaning Mechanisms||Have gentle brushes with soft bristles||Have stiff bristles|
|Beater Bar||Don’t have a beater bar||Have a beater bar for deep cleaning|
|Brush Roll||Non-rotating or retractable brush roll||Rotating brush roll|
|Power||Uses low to adjustable suction and motor power||Requires high motor and suction power|
How to Maintain Your Vacuum Cleaner for Vinyl Floors
Proper care and maintenance is the key to ensuring your vinyl floor vacuum cleaner lasts long and keeps in good condition.
Observe the following care and maintenance tasks to keep your unit in tip-top working order.
- Make sure to read and follow the instructions in the user manual provided by the manufacturer.
- Wash or replace the filters regularly. This will ensure the vacuum has strong suction power and emits clean air.
- Always empty the dustbin before it fills up completely. A filled-to-the-brim dust bag or canister can compromise maneuverability.
- Clean the dusting brush and check the hose for clogs now and then
Vacuum Cleaner Troubleshooting
As with any other mechanical or electrical device, even the best vacuum cleaners for vinyl flooring develop problems from time to time.
If you notice any issues, unplug the vacuum cleaner from the power socket and check for the following:
- Vacuum has low suction. If your vacuum has adjustable suction power, check whether the suction is set too low and adjust it upwards.
- Vacuum has no suction at all. If the suction lights are blinking, examine the handle and extension wand for clogs.
- The brush isn’t turning. Ensure that nothing is blocking the brush roll and that the vacuum is positioned correctly to allow proper airflow.
- The vacuum won’t turn on. Check the plug and power cord for any damage, such as exposed wires.
FAQs About Vacuums for Vinyl Floors
1. Can Vinyl Floors Be Vacuumed?
Vinyl floors can be vacuumed. Just make sure to use a vacuum cleaner head designed for sensitive flooring. Your vacuum should have a non-spinning brush roll with soft bristles and gentle suction power.
2. What is the Best Way to Clean Vinyl Flooring?
The best way to clean vinyl flooring is to combine sweeping and vacuuming. Sweep it daily to eliminate loose debris and wipe away messes as soon as possible.
Additionally, use the best vacuum for vinyl flooring to get rid of stubborn messes and fine dirt. You can even mop vinyl flooring.
3. Is It Better to Sweep or Vacuum Vinyl Floors?
Both sweeping and vacuuming have their place when it comes to cleaning vinyl floors. Sweeping is a great way to get rid of large debris, while vacuuming works best for removing fine dust, sticky messes, and pet hair.
4. What Can Ruin Vinyl Flooring?
An ordinary vacuum cleaner with a high-powered rotating brush roll and a beater bar can ruin vinyl floors by leaving scratches and dents. Only use a vinyl floor vacuum with gentle cleaning mechanisms that won’t mar the sensitive flooring.
5. Can You Use A Vacuum on Vinyl Plank Floors?
You can use a vacuum on vinyl plank floors. However, not all vacuum cleaners are safe for luxury vinyl plank floors.
The best vacuum for vinyl plank flooring features a non-spinning brush with soft bristles, gentle suction power, and rubber wheels that don’t leave marks on vinyl planks.
If you’re using a multi-surface vacuum cleaner, make sure you switch off the rotating brush roll and beater bar and lower the suction strength before you vacuum vinyl flooring.
6. Can You Use a Dyson on Vinyl Plank Flooring?
The Dyson V11 Torque Drive and the Dyson Ball Multi Floor Origin are both safe to use on vinyl flooring. Both automatically adjust the motor speed between carpets and hard floors such as vinyl.
7. What Should You Not Use on Vinyl Plank Floors?
You shouldn’t use a vacuum cleaner with a high-speed rotating brush roll, stiff bristles, or a beater bar. These features are anything but gentle and will scratch and dent the sensitive vinyl floor finish.
Also, steer clear of electric vacuums that generate a lot of heat. Excessive heat can damage the adhesive joining together the vinyl planks.
8. How Long Will a Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors Last?
8-10 years is the typical lifespan for the best vacuum for vinyl plank flooring. You can add a few more years to this life expectancy with proper care and maintenance.
9. What is the Best Robot Vacuum for Vinyl Floors?
The iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO is the best robot vacuum for vinyl plank floors. It boasts advanced technology and vacuums in straight-line patterns, ensuring it doesn’t leave dirty spots.
10. What is the Best Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Flooring?
The Bissell Crosswave Pet Pro All-in-One Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner takes the number one spot as the best vacuum for vinyl floors. It’s powerful yet gentle and has thousands of 5-star ratings and reviews.
However, all the vacuum cleaners reviewed here will serve you well whether you’re looking for the best vacuum for LVT or LVP floors.
One of the benefits of vinyl flooring is the ease of maintenance. Vacuuming is the most efficient way to remove loose debris, fine dirt, pet hair, and even stubborn messes. The above reviews feature the 10 best vinyl floor vacuum cleaners on the market.
When selecting the best vacuum for LVT or LVP flooring, ensure the vacuum cleaner you choose has a non-spinning brush roll with gentle bristles. With this kind of vacuum, you will be able to keep your vinyl flooring spotless while preserving the beautiful vinyl floor luster.