Buying an electric log splitter can overwhelm most people as so many models of this machine are available in the market. Our comprehensive guide will give you all the information you need to make an informed choice.
Learn about the motor capacity, splitting force, item weight, and rating of each best electric wood splitter so that you can choose as per your specific requirement.
Our Picks for the Best Electric Log Splitter
1. Best Overall: EARTHQUAKE 32228, Electric Log Splitter (5-Ton)
The EARTHQUAKE 32228 Electric Log Splitter (5-Ton) has a hydraulic system that splits the wood up to 20" in length and 10" in diameter. It makes the entire wood-splitting operation less time-consuming.
The lightweight design makes it portable. The sturdy wheels ensure easy maneuvering on all types of surfaces. The machine is powerful and versatile; all you need to do is plug in and get ready to split the wood.
The 5-ton wood splitter guarantees its performance and is available with a five-year limited warranty. The tray and stand kit are optional; you can use these accessories to work anywhere.
The sustained power of the machine will enable you to split a large volume of logs. It will help save time and effort.
Specifications: Item Weight (105 Pounds), Splitting Force (5 Tons), Motor (1500 Watts), and Warranty (5-Year Limited Warranty).
- Get reliable performance from the 5-ton electric log splitter
- The copper motor windings and pump ensure sustained power
- The lightweight design of the electric wood splitter has wheels, making it portable
- The best electric log splitter is gas and exhaust-free
- Doesn't perform well in freezing temperatures
- Splitting knotty logs isn't easy
- If the wood diameter exceeds, you might find log splitting difficult
2. Top Pick: Boss Industrial Electric Log Splitter ES7T20 (7-Ton)
The Boss Industrial Electric Log Splitter ES7T20 (7-Ton) offers unparalleled performance and quality due to its patented hydraulic system technology.
The seven-ton splitting force power enables you to handle large wood-splitting projects easily. The electric motor doesn't deliver harmful emissions, allowing you to use it indoors. In comparison to a gas-powered machine, it is quiet.
The built-in side rails feature ensures that the logs are straight and stable when splitting. The seven-inch wheels make it convenient to move wherever there is work.
One of the significant benefits of using this machine is that it runs on regular power, ensuring that you can use it indoors to split logs. The rugged frame is constructed of metal tubes, which makes it durable. The wedge is made from hardened steel.
Specifications: Item Weight (117 Pounds), Splitting Force (7 Tons), Motor (2 HP), and Warranty (Two Years Residential Warranty).
- The automatic ram return makes it easy and convenient to operate and use
- The design is durable and sturdy and includes a five-inch heavy-duty splitting wedge
- Operate the machine on regular power; you don't require extraordinary power
- You can operate it efficiently with one hand. Use the other hand to position the log correctly
- The machine delivers seven tons of splitting force
- The hydraulic system is patented, making it stand out from competitors
- The wheels are close together, making it difficult to move on uneven surfaces
- As the machine is heavy, you might require help carrying it from one place to another
- The low position of the splitter makes it uncomfortable as you have to kneel or bend to operate the machine
- If you are splitting larger logs, they might run off the wedge
3. Best Value: Swisher Timber Brute Eco Split Electric Log Splitter (LS22E) 120V
The Swisher Timber Brute Eco Split Electric Log Splitter (LS22E) 120V is an ideal home accessory for splitting logs in the winter. Compared to the traditional gas splitters, it is quiet, and you can choose to use it indoors and outdoors.
The heavy-duty motor enhances the splitting performance. The dual voltage motor can change from 110V to 220V single phase. The splitter comes with a 25 ft cord, which enables you to plug it wherever you want and work conveniently.
The Swisher can perform in both vertical and horizontal splitting positions. All you need to do is lift the beam handle and secure it with the vertical beam lock. The log cradle ensures that the log doesn't roll off the beam.
Assembly is required, and a certified electrician must do it to ensure efficient working. The splitter comes equipped with a 2.5-gallon poly hydraulic tank. The tank is rust-resistant and protects it from internal and external damage.
The wheels are sturdy, and this makes them road-towable. Easy transportation enables you to splinter wood wherever you want.
Specifications: Item Weight (456 Pounds), Splitting Force (22 Tons), Motor (120 V Electric Motor), and Warranty (One-Year Limited Warranty).
- The 13-second cycle time is the quickest in its category
- The splitting force is phenomenal at 22 tons
- No gasoline is required for the smooth operation of the machine. Plug in and start using the machine anytime you want
- The assembly of this log splitter is complex
- There is no bumper at the top of the piston stroke
- Hydraulic liquid is required for the smooth functioning of the machine
4. Cheapest: YARDMAX YS0552 Electric Log Splitter, Log Tray, Stand (5 Ton)
The YARDMAX YS0552 Electric Log Splitter, Log Tray, and Stand (5 Ton) are guaranteed to complete the task without over-exertion. The five-ton ram splitting force ensures that logs get split easily.
The log capacity of the splitter is 10 inches in diameter and 20.5 inches in length. The wedge size is five inches. You don't require any assembly for the benchtop unit. All you need to do is to fix the wheels and start splitting. If you want to use the stand option, you need minimal assembly.
The stroke limiter, log tray, and stand are included in the YARDMAX YS0552 Electric Log Splitter. The stroke limiter reduces the time taken to split short logs. The two-handed operation ensures safety for the operator.
The log tray keeps the split logs firmly in place instead of them falling to the ground. The lightweight design makes it easy to transport. The electric motor enables you to operate the machine indoors during winter.
Specifications: Item Weight (99.8 Pounds), Splitting Force (5 Tons), Motor (15 Amp), and Warranty (Two Year Residential and 90-Day Commercial).
- The two-handed operation ensures the safety of the operator
- The cycle time is 16 seconds
- Only minimal assembly is required
- The log and stand tray reduce the bending and lifting of the logs
- The lightweight design and wheels make the machine portable
- Knotty and tough logs will be difficult to split with this machine
- The splitting cycle is slow, and you might spend time if you are separating a large volume of wood
5. Most Premium: WEN Electric Log Splitter 56207, Black (6.5-Ton)
The WEN Electric Log Splitter 56207, Black (6.5-Ton) has 13,000 pounds of log cracking pressure, quickly transforming logs into firewood. When you install the stand to the electric log splitter, you can elevate it off the floor. Apart from this, you can install the wheels to the splitter, creating a low-profile design.
The powerful 15-amp motor can easily split logs up to 10 inches in diameter and 20 inches long. When you start using an electric wood splitter, you don't have to worry about harmful carbon dioxide or other unhealthy fumes.
The five-inch steel wedge will help easily split even the hardest of wood. It helps save a lot of time and effort. The onboard pull handle enables you to transport the splitter between jobs.
As there is no gas and clogged carburetors, maintenance is easy. The auto-return retracts immediately after the split task gets completed. It saves time and enables you to complete larger jobs quickly.
The side-mounted support wings prevent the logs from rolling down after completing the splitting task. Enjoy a noise-free wood-splitting experience with the electric splitter.
Specifications: Item Weight (98 Pounds), Splitting Force (6.5 Tons), Motor (15 Amp), and Warranty (Two Years).
- The auto-return cylinder retracts automatically, and this helps save time and effort between splitting logs
- The two-handed operation ensures safety
- The 5.5 inches wheels and onboard pull handle make it easy to transport
- The 15A motor is powerful and provides 13,000 pounds of wood-cracking pressure
- Electric power operations eliminate harmful emissions
- The log cutting capacity is 10 inches in diameter and 20 inches long
- The assembly isn't easy
- It is challenging to split large-diameter logs
- The splitter is not as powerful and durable as gas splitters
- No log tray is available, and the logs fall on the ground after splitting
- The cycle time is slow at 20 seconds
6. Most Versatile: Powerhorse Horizontal/Vertical Electric Log Splitter
Powerhorse Horizontal/Vertical Electric Log Splitter is preferred as it lets you immediately switch from vertical to horizontal mode. It saves effort and time when you are splitting large logs.
The powerful motor extends the service life of the electric wood splitter. The six-inch tires enable you to tow and transport the splitter from one job to the other. The in-built log cradle catches each log as it gets split and ensures it doesn't fall.
The maximum splitting force of this machine is 8 tons, which enables you to split massive wood.
Specifications: Item Weight (169 Pounds), Splitting Force (8 Tons), Motor (15 Amp), and Warranty (2 Years).
- The electrical splitter works both in vertical and horizontal modes
- The premium motor performs efficiently
- The 8-ton splitting force can help split large logs
- The six-inch tires make it easy to tow and transport
- The splitter is heavy
- The splitting force is less for such a big machine
7. Most Popular: Super Handy Log Splitter Portable Electric Rapid Auto Return Hydraulic (14-Ton)
The Super Handy Log Splitter Portable Electric Rapid Auto Return Hydraulic (14-Ton) has a low-profile design and can easily fit most truck beds without additional space. The lightweight design makes it easy to set up.
The heavy-duty build and power ensure that no log-splitting task is enormous, and you can complete even big projects efficiently. The rapid auto-return feature helps save time and effort.
The efficient motor helps produce regular splitting force, which helps split logs 14 inches in diameter and 20 inches in length.
The eco-friendly machine can get used both indoors and outdoors. The transport wheels are sturdy and enable you to transport the device on any surface.
Specifications: Item Weight (129.7 Pounds), Splitting Force (14 Tons), Motor (15 Amp 1800W), and Warranty (Two Years).
- The lightweight design makes it portable and easy to transport
- The electric-powered unit doesn't produce any noxious fumes or other harmful emissions
- The high-quality steel frame is durable and can withstand harsh working conditions
- The ergonomic bar design makes it easy to handle
- The electric start ensures low maintenance
- The hydraulic fluid isn't included
- Splitting heavy logs isn't easy
8. Best Features: Southland Outdoor Power Equipment Electric Log Splitter SELS60 (6 Ton)
The Southland Outdoor Power Equipment Electric Log Splitter SELS60 (6 Ton) has a powerful motor that can help easily split short and medium logs. The integrated stroke limiter can help adjust when splitting smaller logs.
The rugged design ensures durability even when working in challenging conditions. The handle and seven wheels make it easy to transport. The splitter can be used indoors, too, as it operates noiselessly.
Specifications: Item Weight (105.8 Pounds), Splitting Force (6 Tons), Motor (1.75 HP, 15 Amp), and Warranty (Two Years).
- The splitting capacity is 6 tons
- The 18-second cycle time enables you to split logs quickly
- The electric wood splitter can be stored vertically
- The seven wheels enhance portability
- The splitter isn't suitable for long wood logs
How to Choose the Right Electric Log Splitter?
When choosing the best electric log splitter, there are various things that you need to keep in mind so that your choice meets your requirements.
One of the first and most important things you need to consider is the log capacity that the splitters can handle. Based on the capacity specifications, you can make an excellent choice.
Ensure that the splitter you choose can split logs to the specific size you want.
Vertical or Horizontal
The small splitters can only get used in the horizontal position. You will have to take the log to the rack in this position. If the splitters get placed in a vertical position, you can roll the logs into the machine.
When splitting big wood, you can choose a splitter that can be placed in vertical and horizontal positions.
The power of the electric splitter gets measured in tons. It is the amount of force that gets exerted on the wood for it to split. The many factors that affect splitter power include:
- Wood Hardness.
- Log Diameter.
- Log Length.
Most electric splitters get rated in the range of 5-7 tons, which is enough to split standard wood. Choose splitters with more power if you want to break enormous or knotty wood.
Splitting Cycle Time
Splitting cycle time is the time it takes for you to split a log as per your specific needs. You can break more logs quickly if the splitter has a fast cycle time.
A speed of 10 – 15 seconds is considered ideal. A lower speed usually isn’t a problem for electric log splitters as you don’t have to split a large quantity of wood for home use.
It is always best to look for additional features to increase the splitting speed.
- Ram Reduction or Stroke Limiting – The feature prevents the ram from expanding completely when you are splitting short logs.
- Two-Way Splitting Wedge – The wedge enables you to split logs both when the ram gets extended and when it returns to its original position.
- Four-Way Wedge – The four-way wedge enables the splitter to split the log four ways. It helps save time if you have a large quantity of wood to separate.
One of the most significant advantages of choosing electric splitters is that you can quickly move them around. The sturdy wheels make it easy to move the machine on any surface.
If the splitter machine is large, you need bigger wheels to move them around.
FAQs About Electric Log Splitters
1. Are Electric Log Splitters Worth It?
Electric log splitters are an excellent choice as they can be used indoors and outdoors. Apart from this, the electric splitters cost less than the gas-powered splitters.
2. What Can A 5-Ton Log Splitter Do?
The 5-ton log splitter can split wood up to 10″ in diameter. You get the same durability, speed, and strength of a gas splitter but with the convenience of no fumes and loud noise.
3. How Powerful of An Electric Log Splitter Do You Need?
The amount of power you require in an electric log splitter will depend on the size of the log you want to be separated. The best log splitters will specify the dimensions of the wood they can process.
Read the electric log splitter reviews to learn about the size of wood that the splitters can easily split. It will enable you to choose the best electric wood splitter per your specific needs.
4. Can an Electric Log Splitter Split Green Wood?
An electric log splitter can split green wood better than dry wood, as it takes little pressure to break. The fibers of green wood are also less resistant to separating when wet.
Breaking the green wood logs is always advisable before starting the curing process. It helps reduce curing time as the logs are smaller.
5. Which One is Better, An Electric or Gas Log Splitter?
The type of splitter you want to buy will depend on the type of wood you will work with. If you are working with more extensive logs, you should choose gas log splitters are they are better at doing the work.
The electric log splitter is the best choice if you want to split small logs and do the work at home. The electric splitters cost less and are also environmentally friendly.
The other reason that people prefer electric wood splitters is that they are easy to maintain and store. As they don’t cost much, they will fit your budget.